Thinking about hiring your own internal IT staff – think again!
Outsourcing your IT brings additional business value
by Stuart R. Crawford, V.P.
Businesses today wrestle and grapple with the thought of hiring their own technology support staff to support their daily need for IT support without fully understanding the risks and the costs associated with having their own team of technology professionals.
Business owners, C level execs and Managers are attracted to the idea of having a team or a consultant readily available within shouting distance down the hall, basically having an IT resource committed to them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, many of today’s business owners across the country are not aware of the total risks their business is exposed to by electing to bring their technology support in-house.
More often than not it is purely a cost based decision, on the surface it may appear to be more cost effective to hire a consultant or employee who is committed as a full time employee. CFOs and Accounting Managers often look only at the cost of having their IT outsourced and or attracted to hiring someone for a few thousand dollars a month as part of their staff will save their company in the long run. This is not the case in reality and by having a full time employee will actually end up costing business today more in the long run.
So what are the advantages of having an IT Partner who focuses on delivering a complete managed technology solution? There are a number of immediate benefits over having a full time employee. These benefits include:
- The average technology professional with five years experience may be worth $60,000 a year. This is great when you looking at the bills from your IT provider and see that you have probably spent paid the same in their consulting bills for only a fraction of the time. When a business elects to go internal, a $60,000 salary now buys the business one person and not a team of professionals offering depth in expertise and knowledge.
- IT Partners will provide around the clock monitoring and coverage throughout the entire term of the contract. When a company hires their own IT staff, now the challenges around vacation scheduling, training and time off from illness impacts the company. An outsourced IT Partner provided full time coverage, vacations, illness and other absences now are not an impact on your technology support.
- There are hidden additional costs when a business elects to hire internally. The costs associated with training can rise rapidly, when you have a trusted IT partner, training is no longer the company’s challenge. The IT partner ensures that the skills of their team are up to date. Combine this with costs associated with procurement of equipment that include SmartPhones, laptops and other supplies can quickly add up and then there is the added payroll expenses associated with healthcare, payroll and others logistical items.
- IT partners can offer a wealth of knowledge and great resources when needed, offering networks of partners who can help geographical and even across town. When a company turns to hiring their own staff, this experience often is not available to them and they are stuck with just a single person or a very small team with limited expertise. Now when these skills are required outside of the skills level of their staff, this is now an additional expense that normally the right IT partner can extend to a company as part of their program.
- IT technicians always like to be challenged even the ones that you hire. What happens at the average company when the challenges stop occurring? Boredom is disastrous. There are two possible outcomes that occur with in-house staff who deal with challenges with boredom.
o They choose to leave to seek out challenges – When a company loses a member of their own internal staff, the intellectual property and knowledge goes with them. This leaves a huge void in the understanding of your systems and network layout. With a trusted IT partner, this knowledge is retained and companies continue to function as if nothing occurred.
o They decide to adopt “make work” projects – When this occurs it can be disastrous as well. Many make work projects are the result of boredom and complacency because of lack of challenges. When make work projects appear, what isn’t getting done is the attention to the daily needs of your systems and network. Make works projects are distractions and your IT partner doesn’t worry about finding stuff to do on your network. The daily attention to your systems is still the main focus of their services.
Michael Fafinski, President of Syand Corporation in Minneapolis states about the value of having a full service IT partner can bring to a company, “having a full feature IT partner eliminates the “tunnel vision” found with internal employees. Too often, employers are limited only by the expertise of their internal employees and lose opportunities to improve their business.”
Many firms that elect to go with their own in-house IT person, more often than not resent this decision down the road. What seemed like a great idea quickly turns into a huge business mistake that ends up costing them.
Randy Biggs from VACS in St. Catharines, Ontario shares “Hiring a trusted IT partners allows a company to have access to many additional certified resources without having to keep paying for their staff to get certified. I find that with hired staff, you get one of two types. One that always wants the latest and greatest that many companies cannot afford to keep up with and the second, someone who becomes complacent and only does what needs done. In either case, they aren’t looking out for the best interest of the company.”
When a company elects to retain an outsourced firm over hiring internal, they are getting service from a company who is focused on ensuring the IT needs are being addressed in the most efficient manner possible. Many trusted IT partners are focused on the bigger picture, ensuring everything is looked after in a company’s environment including:
- Vendor Relations
- IT Budgeting
- Network Monitoring and Proactive IT services
- Knowledge Base Management
- Disaster Recovery Planning
Partnering with a trusted IT Partner brings value to any business no matter what the size, what makes more sense to you? Limiting the knowledge, options and having to deal with people challenges such as complacency and boredom or expanding available options by having a wonderful relationship with a trusted IT partner who understands what business needs to grow, increase profits and the importance of the right technology solution.
Stuart Crawford is the Vice President of Business Development for IT Matters Inc. A Calgary based Professional Services firm focused on delivering Managed IT Services in Southern Alberta. IT Matters is a Gold Microsoft Partner and Small Business Specialist. Visit their website at http://www.itmatters.ca. You can contact Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org or through his blog at http://blog.itsuccessmentor.com.